- About Us
- Administrator Resources
- Academic Programs
- Faculty and Staff Resources
- Site Index
Hiring and Recruitment in Academic Affairs (SVPP COVID-19 Communication #4)
Last updated March 25, 2020, 9:00 AM
Interim VP Kristi Darr recently distributed a university-wide memo regarding new temporary guidelines for recruitment and hiring processes due to the State of Emergency and COVID-19. I am following up with guidance in the context of implementation within the Division of Academic Affairs.
Please share this communication with your departments and units.
The UHR guidelines require an exceptional review and approval process for departments/units that wish to proceed with new postings, fill current vacancies, conduct interviews, and make offers and hires. I delegate that approval to each of my direct reports, in their respective units, for Faculty, P&S, Merit, Contract, Postdoc, Resident/Intern, and Temporary/Emergency positions.
Information for hiring managers about requesting permission to proceed with each of these recruitment processes will be forthcoming from UHR.
Some searches may have already hosted on-campus interviews for some, but not all, finalists. In this situation, the hiring manager should consult with their HR Delivery team and decide whether to postpone visits until it is safe to bring finalists to campus. The search does not need to be withdrawn; rather, it may be suspended. It is important to communicate the timeline with all finalists. Otherwise, the search may need to be canceled due to attrition in the candidate pool.
Additionally, the following guidelines regarding faculty and postdoc recruitment processes are effective immediately:
- The in-person interview remains a critical factor in the process for selecting faculty on the tenure track at Iowa State University. Virtual interviewing of finalist candidates is not allowed for tenured or tenure-eligible faculty searches. Such interviews shall be postponed.
- Term faculty searches, with contracts up to one year in length, to meet critical teaching needs are may use virtual interviewing. While longer contracts on the basis of virtual interviewing are discouraged, under special circumstances, the college dean may request approval at the discretion of the Provost’s office.
- Internal searches for academic administrative positions may proceed with virtual interviewing.
- Virtual interviewing is allowed for Postdoc searches.