Resource Guide for Recruiting Excellent and Diverse Faculty
Appendix 1: Sample Questions for References
- How well do you know the candidate, for how long, and in what capacity?
- How well do you think the candidate fits this position?
- In your opinion, what are this individual’s strengths? Weaknesses?
- Comment on the candidate’s scholarship, research skills, and ability to obtain grant support.
- Is he/she a national leader in this discipline? Does he/she have the potential to be a national leader in this discipline?
- Comment on the candidate’s experience and abilities as a teacher and his/her commitment to education and students.
- Comment on the candidate’s outreach or professional practice, and his/her involvement in the academic community.
- How would you describe this individual’s ability to work successfully with others and to be a good departmental citizen?
- Comment on the candidate’s commitment to diversity. Cite some examples.
- How would you describe this individual’s leadership skills?
- How good are his/her communication skills, both orally and in writing?
- Describe some of this individual’s core professional values.
- If this person had any critics, what would they probably be concerned about?
- Would you hire this person for this position? Why or why not?
- Do you have any other comments you feel are pertinent?
- Can you suggest anyone else who might be able to help us assess this candidate?