University Award for Inclusive Excellence
Recognizes employees who have advanced the university’s mission of diversity, equity, and inclusion in ways that significantly impact the environment at Iowa State.
Employed by Iowa State University for 3 years or more. Recipients must be Iowa State employees at the time of the University Awards Ceremony.
Nature of the award:
$1,500 award presented annually at the University Awards Ceremony
Number of awards:
Up to two
Selection is based on documentation of:
- Efforts that have significantly impacted diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) at Iowa State University.
- Exemplary performance and positive impact aligned with the university’s strategic plan, non-discrimination statement, and DEI goals/statements.
- Depth and breadth of impact on the organization.
- Collaboration with DEI-centered offices, DEI-focused committees, or individuals in the DEI ecosystem at Iowa State.
- Indication of nominee’s continuing commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion at Iowa State.
Nomination packets must be submitted as one PDF and contain the following in this order:
- Completed nomination cover page either for faculty or staff:
- Three (3) letters of support [each not to exceed two (2) pages]
- Nomination letter - Author must be someone with broad knowledge of nominee's efforts and who can speak to the breadth and depth of the nominee's impact at Iowa State University.
- DEI collaborator letter - Author must be someone who serves in a DEI-focused office/committee/position at Iowa State University, has partnered with the nominee and can speak to their impact on the university's DEI goals.
- Beneficiary letter - Author must be a member of a group who has benefitted from the nominee's efforts and can speak to their impact.
- Nominee statement of no more than two (2) pages that includes the following:
- Nominee should describe how their activities meet the award criteria and what plans they have for continuing to impact the campus beyond the current award cycle.
- A chronological listing of no more than two (2) pages of nominee's accomplishments that fit the award criteria
Nominations for this award may be submitted by an individual, employing unit, or college.
If an individual or employing unit would like to submit a nomination, please email the complete nomination document to email@example.com by February 10. The nominator will receive notification of successful submission within 10-15 minutes.
If a college would like to submit a nomination through the college award nomination process, the college awards coordinator must upload the nomination to the college folder on CyBox by February 10. Please note that internal deadlines for college review take place before the February 10 deadline. If you are a college awards coordinator and do not have access to your college's folder on CyBox, please contact Megan Peterson, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Nominations are reviewed by a selection committee in the Office of the Vice President for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, who will make recommendations to the Senior Vice President and Provost. Award recipients and their nominator, department chair, dean, and/or supervisor are notified by May 1. Colleges receive feedback on unsuccessful nominations by July 1.