New Faculty Programs and Resources
New Faculty Orientation Canvas Course
A Canvas Course for all new faculty (term and tenure-eligible) will open on July 1. New faculty will not be required to take part in the Canvas course, but will be strongly encouraged to orient themselves to Iowa State prior to their official hire dates. In adopting this model for orienting and onboarding new faculty, our goal is to promote equity across academic appointments, provide clear information to faculty about how to carry out their position responsibilities, cultivate community, and promote networking. The course covers:
- Iowa State University mission, goals, and history
- Campus landscape and location
- Nine core faculty values, as approved by the Faculty Senate
- Faculty Development and Employee Resources
- Institutional Response to Coronavirus (COVID-19)
New faculty will retain access and use of the Canvas course after their appointments formally begin.
In addition to the Canvas Course, Faculty Success Coordinator Katharine Hensley and Assistant Provost for Faculty Development Tera Jordan will moderate two Welcome Wednesdays on July 14 and July 28. These real-time, virtual conversations will allow new faculty an opportunity to receive important information about Iowa State, build community, and ask questions.
Faculty Success Coordinator,
Assistant Provost for Faculty Development,
New Faculty Orientation
The aforementioned Canvas Course and Welcome Wednesday events do not take the place of the orientation meeting. New Faculty Orientation will be on Wednesday, August 18. It is strongly recommended that all new, incoming faculty attend New Faculty Orientation.
- Introduce new faculty to important policies, programs, and information that support their success
- Connect faculty with key administrators and staff
- Provide resources to assist new faculty transition to their new roles at Iowa State
- Nurture networking and a sense of community among our new faculty cohort
Registration is required. The agenda for the day will include a session regarding resources as you begin your career at Iowa State.
All new faculty, tenure-eligible and term, that have joined Iowa State since January 2021 are invited to attend.
Date to be determined.
The Center for Excellence in Learning and Teaching (CELT) hosts this half-day virtual program that encompasses the best teaching practices and student support resources available at Iowa State. New faculty, staff with a teaching role, and graduate teaching assistants will learn from Iowa State’s educators about how to prepare for a successful first semester of teaching and explore CELT’s services, resources, and professional development opportunities.
Our symposium goals:
- To recognize the policies, practices, and resources for effective teaching and learning at Iowa State University.
- To explore common student issues, successes along with various campus resources for students.
- To discover the services, support, and development opportunities provided by CELT.
Note that New Faculty Orientation is different from University Human Resources Orientation
Spring 2022 New Faculty Orientation
Date to be determined.
All new tenured, tenure-eligible, and term faculty that have joined Iowa State University since August 2021 are invited to attend an orientation specifically designed for them.
The Fall Faculty Orientation gives new faculty the opportunity to meet with one another as well as with senior administrators at Iowa State. Senior Vice President and Provost Wickert will share his insight on what it means to be part of a land grant university. Registration is required.
- Build Your Career at ISU (PDF, 765KB)
- Best practices in mentoring and promotion of assistant professors (PDF, 167KB)
- Assistant professor/tenure-eligible faculty planning (PDF, 170KB)
- Resources for assistant professors (PDF, 133KB)