New Faculty Programs and Resources
New Faculty Orientation Canvas Course
A Canvas Course for all new faculty (term and tenure-eligible) opens each year on July 1. New faculty will not be required to take part in the Canvas course, but will be strongly encouraged to orient themselves to Iowa State prior to their official hire dates. In adopting this model for orienting and onboarding new faculty, our goal is to promote equity across academic appointments, provide clear information to faculty about how to carry out their position responsibilities, cultivate community, and promote networking. The course covers:
- Iowa State University's mission, goals, and history
- Campus landscape and location
- Nine core faculty values, as approved by the Faculty Senate
- Faculty Development and Employee Resources
New faculty will retain access and use of the Canvas course after their appointments formally begin.
AAUP Academic Freedom memo (DOC, 21KB)
In addition to the Canvas Course, Faculty Success Coordinator Katharine Hensley and Assistant Provost for Faculty Development Tera Jordan moderate Welcome Wednesday discussions. These real-time, virtual conversations allow new faculty an opportunity to receive important information about Iowa State, build community, and ask questions.
Faculty Success Coordinator,
Assistant Provost for Faculty Development,
New Faculty Orientation
The aforementioned Canvas Course and Welcome Wednesday events do not take the place of the orientation meeting. New Faculty Orientation will be on Wednesday, August 16, 2023. It is strongly recommended that all new, incoming faculty attend New Faculty Orientation.
- Introduce new faculty to important policies, programs, and information that support their success
- Connect faculty with key administrators and staff
- Provide resources to assist new faculty transition to their new roles at Iowa State
- Nurture networking and a sense of community among our new faculty cohort
Registration is required. The agenda for the day will include a session regarding resources as you begin your career at Iowa State.
All new faculty, tenure-eligible and term, that have joined Iowa State since January 2023 are invited to attend.
Fall 2023 CELT Teaching Symposium
Tuesday, August 15, 2023
The Center for Excellence in Learning and Teaching (CELT) hosts a program that encompasses the best teaching practices and student support resources available at Iowa State. New faculty, staff with a teaching role, and graduate teaching assistants will learn about preparing for a successful first semester of teaching and exploring CELT’s services, resources, and professional development opportunities.
Our symposium goals:
- To identify the policies, practices, and resources for effective teaching and learning at Iowa State University.
- To explore potential challenges to student success and identify various campus resources for student support.
- To discover the CELT services, support, and development opportunities available to educators at Iowa State University.
Fall 2023 Orientation for New Graduate Faculty through the Graduate College
To be announced
Spring 2024 New Faculty Orientation
Date to be determined
All new tenured, tenure-eligible, and term faculty that have joined Iowa State University since August 2023 are invited to attend an orientation specifically designed for them.
New Faculty Orientation gives new faculty the opportunity to meet with one another as well as with senior administrators at Iowa State. Registration is required.
University Human Resources Orientation
Note that New Faculty Orientation is different from University Human Resources Orientation
- Build Your Career at ISU (PDF, 315KB)
- Best practices in mentoring and promotion of assistant professors (PDF, 167KB)
- Assistant professor/tenure-eligible faculty planning (PDF, 170KB)
- Resources for assistant professors (PDF, 133KB)