The Office of the Senior Vice President and Provost, reporting to the President, is responsible for Iowa State University's land-grant academic mission in education, discovery, and service. The Division of Academic Affairs includes seven academic colleges, the Graduate College, the University Library, the Office of the Vice President for Research, the Office of the Vice President for Extension and Outreach, and Enrollment Management.
Additional reporting units include the Center for Excellence in Learning and Teaching, University Honors Program, Institutional Research, Study Abroad Center, University Lectures Program, Program for Women in Science and Engineering and the Ombuds Office. The Director of the U.S. Department of Energy Ames National Laboratory also reports to the Senior Vice President and Provost.
The Office of the Senior Vice President and Provost manages and supports:
- Assessment, accreditation, and continuous quality improvement in Iowa State's programs across 60 academic departments
- Planning, budgeting, policy, and efficiency initiatives throughout the division
- Management of faculty appointments, promotions, tenure decisions, and professional development programs
- New and transfer student admissions, student financial aid, and the office of the University Registrar
- New and continuing student programs, including New Student Orientation, Destination Iowa State, and Commencement
The Senior Vice President and Provost works closely shared governance bodies at the university including:
- Faculty Senate
- Professional and Scientific Council
- Student Government
- Graduate and Professional Student Senate