Search Committee Training and Resources
“Search committees shape the faculty—and therefore the university—for years to come” (Fraser & Hunt, 2011, p. 189). For this reason and consistent with Iowa State University’s mission and statements of aspiration, search committee training is required for all members before persons can be granted access to search materials and applicant files from University Human Resources. For additional information about Faculty Search Committee training requirements and expectations, review this training resource document (PDF, 48KB). Faculty Success Advisors or University Human Resource personnel can add search committee members to the Search Committee Training Canvas course.
Within the training course, search committees are guided to the following resources:
- Effective Faculty Recruitment (PDF, 276KB) provides guidelines and best practices to support the search process.
- Appendices (PDF, 287KB) are included to provide useful sample questions and templates to use in the faculty search process.
- Appendix A - Sample Interview Questions (PDF, 123KB)
- Appendix B - Interview Questions What to Ask What Not to Ask (PDF, 108KB)
- Appendix C - Candidate Evaluation Tool #1 (PDF, 110KB)
- Appendix D - Candidate Evaluation Tool #2 (PDF, 137KB)
- Appendix E - Sample Teaching Seminar Evaluation (PDF, 93KB)
- Appendix F - Evaluation of the Departmental Search Process (PDF, 107KB)
- Appendix G - Sample Questions for References (PDF, 75KB)
- Faculty Template Rating Matrix (EXCEL)
- Search committee members are encouraged to share the Build Your Career at ISU (PDF, 267KB) document with all candidates. Additional information is described on the Community Resources webpage.
- University Human Resources
- Iowa State University has an institutional membership with The National Registry of Diverse and Strategic Faculty. To access this resource, email your Faculty Success Advisor for the login credentials.
- Survey of Earned Doctorates (NORC, University of Chicago)