Department Chairs and New Academic Leaders
Department Chairs Cabinet
Recognizing that the roles and responsibilities of the academic department Chair are among the most complex within the institution, Iowa State University established the Department Chairs Council, comprised of all current department Chairs, to provide for communication between the department Chairs as a group and the administration, faculty, staff and students of Iowa State University. To facilitate communication, the Council elects a Cabinet which consists of one Chair from each of the colleges and four at-large Chairs. The Associate Provost for Faculty and the Faculty Senate President sit on the committee as ex-officio non-voting members. The cabinet meets monthly to discuss and establish positions on matters of University concern with particular implications for academic departments and programs.
- Department Chairs Council Constitution and Bylaws (PDF, 19KB)
- Current Membership of the Chairs Cabinet
2023-2024 Meetings of the Chairs Cabinet
All meetings will be 8:15 a.m. to 9:30 a.m., in 3150 Beardshear
Schedule to be announced
Department Chair Workshop Series
The Department Chair Workshop Series aims to provide department chairs with valuable information and useful resources to assist them in their work as managers and academic leaders of their departments. The workshops seek to build a community of practice for ongoing information sharing, problem solving, and support.
Workshops are led by faculty, staff, and administrators with demonstrated expertise in the session topic. Presentation materials and handouts may be distributed during the sessions and/or posted on our website.
All department chairs, associate, and assistant chairs are strongly encouraged to attend.
2023-2024 schedule to be announced
2023-2024 Virtual Chairs' Chats
Virtual Chairs’ Chats will occur monthly, 10:00 a.m to 10:50 a.m. on the first Wednesday of each month (September through May). These fifty minute sessions will be used for delivering timely information, soliciting feedback, addressing topics of interest to you, or simply connecting.
New Academic Leadership Boot Camp
New (and newly interim) department chairs, school directors, associate chairs, and associate deans are invited to participate in a year-long series of in-person sessions. These meetings introduce new academic leaders to policies, practices, and people instrumental to a successful first year in leadership. Sessions are scheduled several times a month, on Friday mornings from 8:30 a.m to 9:45 a.m., in 2030 Morrill Hall.
2023-2024 schedule to be announced
- Suggested reading list for new department chairs (DOC, 14KB)
- "Ethics, Integrity and Civility in Higher Education: New Approaches to Foster a Culture of Trust" powerpoint presentation by Neil Hamilton (PPT, 794KB)
- Iowa State University Department Chair: Role, Progression and Directions (PDF, 7.62MB)
- Sample candidate evaluation form (PDF, 39KB)
- For Chairs: The Seat's Gotten Hotter (PDF, 103KB)
- Thoughts for New Chairs from Dean Schmittmann (DOC, 22KB)
- American Council on Education's (ACE) Department Leadership Programs
- Departmental governance document guidelines (PDF, 21KB)
- Effective practices for academic leaders
- Harassment/Discrimination policy/resources
- ISU Policies and Guidelines for Flexible Faculty Careers: Resources for Chairs and Deans (PDF, 456KB)
- University of Michigan resources for deans and chairs
Faculty Success Coordinator,