- About Us
- Administrator Resources
- Academic Programs
- Faculty and Staff Resources
- Awards - ISU Faculty and Staff
- Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
- Faculty Advancement/Review
- Faculty Honors and Awards Hub
- Faculty Hiring
- New Faculty Orientation
- Professional Development
- Faculty Handbook
- WorkCyte Updates
- Site Index
Big 12 Faculty Fellowship Program
Iowa State University collaborates in a program to stimulate scholarly initiatives among the universities that became affiliated through formation of the Big 12 Athletic Conference. The Big 12 Faculty Fellowship Program offers faculty the opportunity to travel to member institutions to exchange ideas and research. Faculty visits will ordinarily be for two weeks, but longer visits are possible. The Fellowship Program has the following general guidelines:
- A faculty member at any Big 12 university may visit any other Big 12 university (a list appears below).
- There must be preliminary contact between a host unit (department, research center, etc.) and the individual to determine mutual receptivity and available dates.
- The host unit formally invites the Faculty Fellow by sending a letter of invitation.
- The faculty member's home institution provides up to $2,500 towards transportation, room and board. Awards will generally not exceed $1,500.
- A limited number of fellowships will be available annually from each university.
- After the visit the Faculty Fellow will submit a brief report to the Senior Vice President and Provost describing outcomes of the visit and offering suggestions for future planning.
- Faculty Fellows will be responsible for arranging coverage of their duties at their home campus during their absence.
- The host unit will announce the visit of a Faculty Fellow and the activities in which the Fellow will engage.
- The visiting Faculty Fellow may consult with faculty and/or students, offer lectures or symposia, or engage in whatever activities are agreeable to the Fellow and the host institution. Iowa State University encourages activities that further the university's strategic plan. Examples would be the use of a unique laboratory facility, or consultation with a colleague who is collaborating on current or planned research or innovative teaching or extension activities.
Guidelines for Applying for Iowa State University Big 12 Faculty Fellowships
- Application Form (PDF, 125KB | DOC, 15.1KB)
- Applications for visits for FY 2019-2020 are due to the Office of the Senior Vice President and Provost according to the following schedule (Dates match Foreign Travel Grant program, as established by the Faculty Senate):
|Fellowship Dates||Date due to Office of the Senior Vice President and Provost|
|5 November 2019 - 30 June 2020||noon on 18 October 2019|
|1 March 2020 - 31 October 2020||noon on 31 January 2020|
|3 June 2020 - 31 January 2021||noon on 3 April 2020|
- Eligible faculty are those who are tenured, tenure-track, who have been in adjunct faculty positions for at least six years, senior clinicians or senior lecturers.
- Approved Fellows will be reimbursed for their actual expenses - including travel, lodging, meals, and any incidentals - awards generally do not exceed $1,500.
- The selection of Big 12 Fellows will be made by the Faculty Senate Committee on Professional Development.
- Application should indicate how the proposal exchange will contribute to the faculty member's scholarship and how the exchange will be of benefit to Iowa State University.
Guidelines for Iowa State University Academic Units Wishing to Host Big 12 Faculty Fellows
- The department, research center, school, or other unit must issue a letter of invitation to the prospective Big 12 Faculty Fellow. This letter should specify the dates and any particular expectations for the Fellow (examples: to present a recital; to deliver a series of lectures; to meet with graduate students, etc.)
- Once the sending school has approved the appointment of a Fellow, a specific faculty member should be designated as the host. An ISU card, which provides access to campus services (e.g. library, recreation facilities), can be made available to these Visiting Fellows. Contact the ISU Card Office at 294-2727 for more information. Host departments are responsible for advising the visiting Fellow concerning temporary housing in the Ames area and for making arrangements concerning access to office space, telephones, clerical help, computers, parking, and any specialized research facilities.
- The Fellow's home institution is responsible for funding. Iowa State University will not normally provide funding to visiting Big 12 Faculty Fellows.
Questions concerning this program may be addressed to Dawn Bratsch-Prince, Office of the Senior Vice President and Provost, at email@example.com or 294-6410.
- Baylor University
- Iowa State University
- Kansas State University
- Oklahoma State University
- Texas Christian University
- Texas Tech University
- University of Kansas
- University of Oklahoma
- University of Texas-Austin
- West Virginia University