ISU Regents Award for Faculty Excellence
The Regents Award for Faculty Excellence is awarded to a faculty member who is recognized as an outstanding university citizen.
All faculty (term, tenure-eligible, tenured) who have been employed for a minimum of five (5) years as a faculty member at Iowa State University are eligible to be nominated. More than 50% of the nominee's responsibilities must be faculty, not administrative, duties. Part-time faculty with less than a 50% appointment are ineligible for this recognition. Distinguished Professors, University Professors, and Morrill Professors are not eligible for this award. Recipients must be Iowa State employees at the time of the University Awards Ceremony.
Nature of Award:
$2,500 one-time stipend
Number of Awards:
Up to five
A nominee must have a sustained record of excellence across the spectrum of faculty endeavors (teaching, scholarship, service, extension, professional/clinical practice, etc.) or such outstanding accomplishments in one or more of the areas as to justify their selection. In attaining this distinction, the faculty member must have rendered significant service to Iowa State University and/or to the State of Iowa.
- Each college will forward at least one nomination for the Regents Award for Faculty Excellence.
- The Senior Vice President and Provost will receive nominations and forward them to the Faculty Senate Committee on Recognition and Development by February 15.
- The Committee on Recognition and Development will review the nominations and forward its recommendations to the Faculty Senate Executive Board. The Faculty Senate Executive Board recommends the top five faculty to the Senior Vice President and Provost by April 1.
- The Senior Vice President and Provost will forward these recommendations to the President along with the other university award recommendations.
- Completed nomination cover page for faculty:
- Faculty University Award Nomination Cover Page [PDF, 117KB | DOC, 23KB]
- Nomination letter of no more than three (3) pages that includes the following:
- How the nominee's qualifications relate to the award criteria and why the nominee is deserving of the award
- Updated curriculum vita of no more than twenty (20) pages
- Optional supporting materials of no more than five (5) pages to include support letters from individuals internal to Iowa State.
- Each college will forward the nomination(s) it endorses, in unranked order, to the Senior Vice President and Provost. The college’s awards coordinator will upload the nominations to the appropriate college folder on CyBox. Please contact Kati Gorman, firstname.lastname@example.org, for access.
- The deadline for submission of nominations to the Office of the Senior Vice President and Provost deadline is February 10.
The Faculty Senate Committee on Recognition and Development selects the nominees from the names forwarded by the Senior Vice President and Provost on the basis of the criteria listed above using procedures determined by the Committee. The Faculty Senate Executive Board ratifies these nominations and forwards them to the Senior Vice President and Provost by April 1. The Provost will forward these nominations to the President. The President will determine the award recipients and will notify the Board Office of the institutional awardees. Awardees are recognized at a luncheon held by the Board of Regents during its meeting on the ISU campus.
The Office of the Senior Vice President and Provost will coordinate with the President's Office on notification of the awardees. Award recipients and their nominator, department chair, dean, or supervisor are notified by May 1. Colleges receive feedback on unsuccessful nominations by July 1.