- About Us
- Administrator Resources
- Academic Programs
- Faculty and Staff Resources
- Awards - ISU Faculty and Staff
- Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
- Faculty Advancement/Review
- Faculty Honors and Awards Hub
- Faculty Hiring
- New Faculty Orientation
- Professional Development
- Faculty Handbook
- WorkCyte Updates
- Site Index
Iowa State offers a variety of mentoring programs for early career faculty.
Iowa State’s formal mentoring program pairs new tenure-eligible faculty members with senior colleagues, typically from the same department. Mentors provide guidance through the tenure process, with a particular focus on the formal third-year review.
The dynamics of the mentoring relationship are mutually agreed at the beginning of the first semester, and shared with college and department through a mentoring contract (DOC, 1.38MB).
Support for faculty mentors, including best practices, is shared at a fall workshop for first-year faculty and their mentors. Mentors who have demonstrated extraordinary dedication to the success of their mentee are eligible for the Exemplary Faculty Mentor Award.
To acknowledge the critical role that faculty mentoring plays at our institution, the Provost Office recognizes colleagues who excel as mentors with our annual Exemplary Faculty Mentor Awards. This award seeks to recognize senior colleagues who have gone above and beyond the usual expectations of a mentor. Awards were given at the Faculty Mentor Recognition Reception on Thursday, May 2, 2019, from 3:30-4:30 p.m. in the Cardinal Room, MU.
If you would like to nominate your mentor for this award, please fill out the Nomination Form below and email it to Cybox using this email address (firstname.lastname@example.org) by April 26.
College Peer Mentors, appointed by each dean, create networking opportunities and organizing college-specific professional development events.
Writing accountability teams
This informal mentoring program helps address the most critical issue identified by new faculty – finding time to write. First and second-year tenure-eligible faculty can join a multi-disciplinary group of 7-9 colleagues, coordinated by a senior colleague who acts as a writing coach. The program is an excellent opportunity to interact professionally with colleagues from different departments and disciplines, and serves as a potential incubator for new cross-disciplinary research collaborations.
Each team decides its approach and level of involvement, ranging from simple accountability to more active peer review. The timeline of the project includes summer writing, the layout of a writing plan at the beginning of fall and spring semesters, and a wrap-up of the projects at the end of the spring semester.
For more information, contact Katharine Hensley, email@example.com or 294-8823.
Professional development programs
The Provost’s Office organizes a series of professional development workshops annually on time management, wellness, mentoring graduate students, and other topics. A special program on promotion and tenure includes a presentation on university policies, and small group discussions with senior colleagues and department chairs. Additional workshops on documenting and boosting research visibility/impact are offered in collaboration with the University Library.
- 2019-2020 New Faculty Seminar Series (to be announced)
- 2019-2020 Faculty Development Workshops (to be announced)
To register for SVPP programming and events online:
- Go to the Learn@ISU page
- Login using your ISU netID and password (top right)
- Select Course Catalogue from the menu (top left)
- Scroll to SVPP events
- Click List Events next to the event you would like to attend
- Select Enroll in the pop-up window - the event will be added to your Menu
Virtual mentoring is provided through Iowa State’s institutional membership in the National Center for Faculty Development and Diversity (NCFDD). Resources include weekly “Monday Motivator” emails and monthly teleworkshops. For information on how to activate your sub-membership, refer to this PDF (383KB).
- Resources for mentoring from ISU ADVANCE
- Faculty Mentoring Handbook from NSF ADVANCE at University of Rhode Island (PDF, 447KB)
- Getting the Most out of Mentoring - Presentation handout (September 29, 2015) (PDF, 490KB)
- Mutual Mentoring Guide, by Sorcinelli and Yun, UMass Amherst (redirected from University of North Texas) (PDF, 6.45MB)
- Mentoring Task Force Report (2006) (PDF, 52KB)
New Faculty Co-Horts:
- September 2018-August 2019 (PDF, 402KB)
- September 2017-August 2018 (PDF, 419KB)
- September 2016-August 2017 (PDF, 302KB)
- September 2015-August 2016 (PDF, 290KB)
- September 2014-August 2015 (PDF, 353KB)