- About Us
- Administrator Resources
- Academic Programs
- Faculty and Staff Resources
- Awards - ISU Faculty and Staff
- Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
- Faculty Advancement/Review
- Faculty Honors and Awards Hub
- Faculty Hiring
- New Faculty Orientation
- Professional Development
- Faculty Handbook
- WorkCyte Updates
- Site Index
Early Career Faculty Programs and Resources
The Office of the Senior Vice President and Provost, the Office of the Vice President for Research, and the Center for Excellence in Learning and Teaching each year sponsor a series of programs and events to introduce all new tenured, tenure-eligible and term faculty to Iowa State University with the goal of supporting their successful transition to life at Iowa State and in the Ames community.
Calendars of faculty professional development events for 2018-2019 [Registration instructions below]
- 2018-2019 New Faculty Seminar Series (PDF, 352KB)
- 2018-2019 Faculty Development Workshops (PDF, 134KB)
New Faculty Events
Spring 2019 New Faculty Orientation: Wednesday, January 9, 2019, (time TBA), in the Gallery, Memorial Union
All new tenured, tenure-eligible, and term faculty hired since September 2018 are invited to attend an orientation specifically designed for them. The Spring Faculty Orientation gives new faculty the opportunity to meet with one another as well as with senior administrators at Iowa State. Senior Vice President and Provost Wickert will share his insight on what it means to be part of a land grant university. Registration is required.
Fall 2019 CELT Teaching Symposium: Tuesday, August 20, 2019 from 7:30 AM to 12:00 PM [Fall 2018 Schedule] - Fall 2019 Schedule TBA
New faculty are invited to the Scheman Building on Tuesday, August 20, 2019, for a half-day program encompassing best teaching practices and student support resources available at Iowa State. You will learn from Iowa State's best educators about how to prepare for a successful first semester of teaching, and explore CELT's services, resources and professional development opportunities. Registration is required for this event.
Fall 2019 New Faculty Orientation: Wednesday, August 21, 2019 from 7:30 AM to 4:00 PM [Fall 2018Schedule] - Fall 2019 Schedule TBA
The New Faculty Orientation gives new faculty the opportunity to meet with one another as well as with senior administrators at Iowa State. This day will include panel discussions with recently appointed junior faculty who will share their best practices to be successful at Iowa State, tips for your first year from the Dean(s) of your College, presentations on successful research programs and the importance of extension and outreach. Break-out sessions on the Ames community, flexible faculty policies, research funding, mentoring, and much more will be available to answer your questions and get you off to a great start. Senior Vice President and Provost Wickert will share his insight on what it means to be part of a land grant university. This day also provides new faculty with the opportunity to network and to socialize.
Fall 2019 New Faculty Orientation will be held at Scheman [directions/map]. Registration is required for this event.
Resources for New Faculty
Visit the Center for Excellence in Learning and Teaching, which contains information about finding things on campus, becoming part of the Ames community, faculty development, teaching resources, research resources, and university offices.
- Dual Career Resources
- Tenure-Track Faculty Checklist (DOC, 57KB, assembled by College of Human Sciences)
- Funding Opportunities:
- Office of Sponsored Programs Administration: GoldSheet sign up
- Funding Opportunities Database - PIVOT - Community of Science (COS) database: Sign up for an account and browse funding opportunities
- Office of the Vice President for Research: information on available training, internal and external funding sources, and institutional research policies
Grant Writing Workshops
The Office of the Vice President for Research will offer a series of grant writing seminars and workshops for all faculty, staff, post-docs and graduate students. There is no fee for participating in any of these workshops. Registration is required. Questions regarding these workshops may be directed to Amy Tehan, email@example.com.
To register for SVPP programming and events online:
- Go to the Learn@ISU page
- Login using your ISU netID and password (top right)
- Select Course Catalogue from the menu (top left)
- Scroll to SVPP events
- Click List Events next to the event you would like to attend
- Select Enroll in the pop-up window - the event will be added to your Menu